How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22981
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and s ex wife are now been told by a judge that

Customer Question

my partner and his ex wife are now been told by a judge that they are both unfit to be parents. They need family court and cyfs is involved. they both have failed hair follicle tests for meth.
i have been dating my partner for 8 months and we have a long distance relationship. i love his kids and i don't like what is going on. he seems to think i will have to do a hair follicle drug test too. I'm confused when the parents can't pass theirs what good would me passing mine be>?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who can request me to be tested during their family court.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The kids are never left with me... I want these parents to be happy and move on, especially for the kids but they fight a lot.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

It is a part of the normal routine of the Family Court when drug use is suspected, and the judge has the power to require the hair follicle testing, as this is the standard test for methamphetamine use. The residue lasts some weeks as you may be aware. But no one will ask you for testing unless it is proposed that his children will be staying with you

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

So I dont know why it was suggested you should be tested. If the children are never left with you it should not be an issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you mean by staying with me and not the parents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay Thats what I thought?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Its only an issue if the children stay with you-if that wont happen then there is no reason for you to be tested