How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22826
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have received notice of proceeding company into liquidation.

Customer Question

have received notice of proceeding for putting company into liquidation. have been told we will need a lawyer for the high court. Is legal aid available for this as all available money has been given to the IRD and there is no more available until end of this month.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Legal aid is not available for litigation involving a company but only for individuals. If your case is to be called tomorrow it will not proceed, because there must be advertising as explained to you by the Inland Revenue lawyer, at least seven days before the advertised date of hearing. So this means it will be put off for 3 to 4 weeks to enable you to take further action. I'm not quite sure what the liquidation company has quoted for you, but I suspect they mean they will put the company in liquidation for you instead of Inland Revenue. Sometimes restructuring can enable you to re-establish the business with a new owner, but you do need to take care. You should also be aware that if the liquidation is advertised, your bank will likely shut down the bank account for the company. A company has to be represented by a lawyer in the High Court, although for the first appearance tomorrow, a director could turn up and ask to be heard on behalf of the company. The next step really depends on what you want to do. If you think you can make an arrangement to keep Inland Revenue happy, then it is possible to negotiate. But you will need to consider whether you should apply to stop the advertising because of the serious effect.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I could suggest lawyers if you confirm the city

Related New Zealand Law Questions