How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22986
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please advice me married and my wife is nz citizen since

Customer Question

Hi there
please advice me i am Lebanese married and my wife is nz citizen since more than 6 years i have visit visa for two years finish after one year . I want to go to visit my family my questions is
can i do the medical tests there and bring it with me when i come back to apply for permanent residency ,
what is the cost for a lawyer to help me to apply
best regards
Ahmad Hammood
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

It may be better to start the process before you leave, and do the medical tests in New Zealand, as if you have been here that long you can apply for permanent residency. However

If you applied for your visa while overseas, you’ll have 12 months to travel to New Zealand.

Once in New Zealand, or if you applied for your visa while in New Zealand, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as often as you like until your travel Conditions expire.

To travel after that, you’ll need to apply for and be granted either:

  • a Permanent Resident Visa
  • a variation of your travel conditions, which would allow you to return to New Zealand at a later date.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Your partner must complete and sign a ‘Partnership Support Form for Residence’. They'll need to give you their completed form and any supporting documents, for you to include with your visa application.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

From the Immigration website there is this information about the medical examination

Getting an x-ray or medical examination

If you need to get a chest x-ray or medical examination, you'll need to bring certain things along to your appointment. At your appointment the physician will examine you and send us information we can use to check you have an acceptable standard of health.

If you have to get a chest x-ray or medical examination, you’ll need to use a doctor or radiologist from our 'List of Panel Physicians'.

If there aren’t any Panel Physicians in your country, you can arrange to have a chest x-ray or medical examination with any registered doctor.

List of panel physicians

When to have your x-ray or medical examination

The chest x-ray and medical certificates that doctors send us to confirm you’ve had your x-ray and/or medical examination must be no more than 3 months old when we receive them. For this reason, we recommend you arrange any medical appointments as soon as you can before applying for a visa.

What to bring to your appointment

  • an identity document
  • your glasses or contact lenses if you use them
  • a list of any medication you are taking (including dosage)
  • any relevant medical reports or x-rays
  • if you’re 17 or under, your parent or legal guardian with you
  • if you’re using an immigration adviser, a completed ‘Immigration Adviser Details’ form.

If you choose to, you can bring a family member, support person, and/or interpreter to your appointment. Let the clinic know when you make your appointment if you will be bringing another person with you.


Immigration Adviser Details (INZ 1160) PDF 267KB

If you’re not from an eMedical country

If you’re not from an eMedical country, you’ll also need to bring the following items to your medical appointment:

  • 3 recent passport-sized photos, or only one if you’re having a chest x-ray and not a medical examination – photos must be less than 6 months old
  • printed medical certificates for the examining physician to complete – you’ll need to include the completed certificates with your visa application.

All x-ray and medical certificates must be completed in English.



If you’re from an eMedical country

You’ll need to read a copy of the ‘eMedical consent and declaration’ before your examination. During your examination you’ll be asked to confirm that you understand it and then sign it in front of your physician - if you’re aged 17 years or under, your parent or guardian will need to sign it for you.

After your eMedical examination, you’ll be given an eMedical reference number to include with your visa application.

eMedical consent and declaration document PDF 297KB

What happens at a medical examination

There are 3 parts to the medical examination:

  1. Medical history and physical examination.
  2. Urine and blood tests.
  3. Chest x-ray, if required.

The physician will complete the physical examination. He or she will check your height, weight, mental state, hearing and vision, listen to your heart, lungs, feel your abdomen and check your reflexes, power and the rest of your nervous system.

You’ll need to remove some items of clothing for the physical examination. Some parts of the physical examination may be completed by a nurse or health care assistant.

You will need to provide a urine sample during the medical examination.

You will also need to get blood tests, and possibly a chest x-ray and some other tests if necessary.

You may need to go to different places to get some tests done.

If you’d like a copy of your medical examination results, you should advise the clinic at the time you are undergoing your examination.

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Finally, you dont really need a lawyer for this, but if you want to use one then i suggest