How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22894
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can you do when someone makes a false statement to

Customer Question

What can you do when someone makes a false statement to police about you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this happening now
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Statements to the police are protected by privilege so you cannot sue for defamation. But if you get charged and they lie to a court that would be perjury and that is a serious criminal matter. Sometimes in bad cases they can be charged with wasting police time, which is also a serious charge

Related New Zealand Law Questions