How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23052
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I purchase a property and put it in either my son and my

Customer Question

Can I purchase a property and put it in either my son and my name or in his name only which ever is easiest. The problem is my son is unable to sign any legal documents as he lives in America and this is a gift to him should I pass away. The reason I'm doing this is I want to avoid the cost of a name change when I'm no longer here and to save money by doing it now while I'm in the process of purchasing a property
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You can do this and then gift it to him. However he can easily sign the legal papers overseas to place the property in his name. Either way is not difficult and there are no significant legal difficulties. Gifting is pretty starightforward. You can also leave a will explicitly leaving him the property, which would be also easy