How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22887
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is separating from me and is going to leave the

Customer Question

My wife is separating from me and is going to leave the family home. we have worked out a shared custody agreement for care of our children can she then force a sale of the family home?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The Property Relationships Act does say you have equal shares in the property, but if you cannot agree on how the property is to be handled, she can force a sale if you cannot buy out her share. This can be postponed for a while but unlikely to be more than 6 months to a year at most, and she could get court orders for sale.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I thought that would be the case
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if I can help further, or you can accept the answer

Related New Zealand Law Questions