How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22827
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Recently my home was burgled and property stolen I am a

Customer Question

Recently my home was burgled and property stolen I am a boarder who solely looks after property while owner works and while home. Owner tried to claim for my contents stolen under his insurance policy as I do not have contents insurance but was declined because I'm just a Tennent even tho policy says they would cover any paying guest. Is there any legal rights around this as I lost several thousand dollars worth of property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you are unhappy with the insurance company decision you can make a complaint to the Insurance Ombudsman, which is a free service. You need to first ask the insurance company to review, although they may have done this, from reading your question. It will come down to the wording of the policy, and it may be possible the policy draws a distinction between a guest, who is there temorarily, and a boarder who may be long term. The Ombudsman website where you can lodge a complaint is here

Related New Zealand Law Questions