How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22816
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a criminal record from 20 years ago . In the last 5

Customer Question

I have a criminal record from 20 years ago for fraud. In the last 5 years I have had 3 police checks with nothing showing as it is over 7 years ago. I have just had another check done this week and this has shown my record from 20 years ago. I was told by my old lawyer from those days that I no longer have to declare these as they should have been wiped from my records after 7 years. Can you tell me what is correct as if I travel overseas I was going to put down I have no longer got a record
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The Criminal Records Clan Slate Act permits you to conceal the records after 7 years, and the act says you can say you have no record. This is fine for most purposes but travel to the United States is an exception, as they specifically say you cannot rely on this act. All other countries do however permit you to conceal the records.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Typo above, it's the Clean Slate

Related New Zealand Law Questions