How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22981
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a court order visits which state the children at the

Customer Question

Hi we have a court order for family visits which state the children at the cost of the mother should be sending the children to visit their father every month. The children reside with their mother in Wellington and the father resides in Auckland. The mother is no longer keeping to the court order. How can you get a court order enforced? Or what options are available to us. The difficulty is if the mother doesn't book flights how do we obtain access.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
It is possible to enforce court orders by applying to the family court and requiring that she comply. The issue may be what sanctions to apply for disobeying the order. In some cases the appropriate remedy would be to change the parenting arrangements, and the ultimate but rarely used sanction would be to have her sentenced for contempt of court. But before that, the court usually requires that there be a mediation to try to resolve the issue, and find out why she is not complying. There may be reasons, and those need to be discussed, even if they are not good reasons.