How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22807
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has been charged with drunk driving (about 3

Customer Question

My daughter has been charged with drunk driving (about 3 times over limit). She insists that it is a minor traffic offence and there wil be no need for her to appear in court. This seems very unlikely - can you advise?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Court charges for traffic offences are dealt with either by an infringement, where you'd do not have to go to court, or by more serious charges. If she has been charged with drink-driving with three times over the limit, this can potentially have a jail sentence, which means that she must attend court. If she does not go to court on the date in the charging document, the judge will issue a warrant for her arrest. She cannot plead guilty by letter but must attend court in person.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** helpful, though I'm surprised it took so long
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I must apologise for the delay, as I have been involved in something else and was not able to look at my emails

Related New Zealand Law Questions