How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22828
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am asked to pay Occupational rent and I am still living

Customer Question

if I am asked to pay Occupational rent and I am still living in the house can I claim against this for lawn mowing, gardening and maintenance costs on the property? also a weekly allowance for the rates and insurance on the house as I have paid all of this and she refuses to pay as I,m living in the house, also doing the lawns and all the gardening on a large section about 4-5 hours each wekend,
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I have, all the information I have read is that occupational rent needs to be applied for through a court order?
JA: What advice did they give you? Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not a lot I just want confirmation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Your former partner is still liable for a half share of all expenses such as rates, Insurance, payments for maintenance of the property and your work in looking after the property. So just as if this was a commercial rental, the overheads need to be covered and if you pay all of these then her half share will be deducted from the occupational rental.

Related New Zealand Law Questions