How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22831
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want a separation. I want my husband to move out as he is

Customer Question

I want a separation. I want my husband to move out as he is more financial, has family locally, I am awaiting medicinal biopsies, have one son at home with mental illness etc. I have been told to get lost. Can I insist he move out or is it my responsibility to move?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You do not have an automatic right to occupancy of the family home unless there are circumstances such as domestic violence. If you cannot agree on who must leave the family home, then this can get difficult, although you can apply for occupancy through the family Court. However sole occupancy by one party is generally reserved for issues of domestic violence. If you cannot agree on who is to stay in the family home, then that home will need to be sold.You have not advised any details about the family circumstances, but neither of you has the automatic right to stay on. However if you have a child who is more dependent on you, you could make an application for sole occupancy, although the judge may well say that the property has to be sold.

Related New Zealand Law Questions