How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22809
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own the trademark in New Zealand and someone in

Customer Question

I own the trademark for Sized in New Zealand and someone in New Zealand owns the domain name: I would like to get the domain name, but the owner refuses to correspond.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
It is possible to obtain a domain name which is strikingly similar to a trademark using what is called the UDRP procedure which is an arbitration procedure run through the WIPO office and other dispute resolution providers. Your trademark would need to be strikingly similar, but I suspect that yours may not be that close under the UDRP rules. You cannot compel the owner of a domain name to sell it, and you may be aware that sometimes the most valuable names change hands for large sums of money. So you can find out about the UDRP rules at this site
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The procedure is that you make the application through the dispute resolution provider, and if you succeed, there will be an order that the name be transferred to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, the trademark is more than strikingly similar, its exactly the same. Are there steps we can take in New Zealand?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
This domain name is ***** ***** of the New Zealand Domain Name Commission jurisdiction, because it is a generic top level domain. You can only use the UDRP procedure
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can ask a New Zealand lawyer to help with the procedure of course

Related New Zealand Law Questions