How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 12 year old child's surname has been changed by deed-poll

Customer Question

My 12 year old child's surname has been changed by deed-poll from my name on the birth certificate to her new husband's name without my knowledge or consent, is this legal? and how did she do it if it was not legal?
Please, I hope you will be able to help me as I am very upset and totally confused.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
The name of the child cannot be changed unless both parents actually consent to the change. If she has managed to do so, there may be a serious issue to investigate with the Department of Internal Affairs, because she may have forged your signature or otherwise misled the department. The law is very clear on this point, and there have been a number of cases where change of name has been opposed successfully by one of the parents in your situation. So your next step should be to get in touch with the Department and ask them to explain how this happened without your consent. There may be some interesting answers and it is likely that the change will be reversed if she has acted illegally