How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22831
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Mutual grant of a Right of way with my neighbour

Customer Question

I have a Mutual grant of a Right of way with my neighbour but it has never been registered,
Can the right of way be dissolved
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If the right-of-way has never been registered as an easement against the title to the property, then it has no legal effect except as a contract between you and your neighbour. It may be binding as a contract if you have an agreement which sets out how the right-of-way can be used, but if this right-of-way was to be cancelled it would have to be on the basis of a breach of the contract. If a right-of-way easement is registered against the title, there is a procedure for getting it cancelled where the easement is no longer required. But an unregistered easement would depend on the strength of the contract.

Related New Zealand Law Questions