How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22814
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking with a child custody plan. Parenting

Customer Question

Hi I am looking for help with a child custody plan. Parenting plan if you will. NZ citizen child and he is in America with me (mother) father is in NZ and is not coming to America. I am looking for help pro bono to get a custody plan in order so that in the future I can travel there. I am working on one here in the USA too. I left because the father wouldn't work, had us on benefit, and was physically abusing me in front of my children.
Any help would be SUPER appreciated!!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope you had permission of the father to take the child from New Zealand, because under The Hague Convention , he could require the child to be returned. If you have this then you can prepare a parenting agreement with his input, and which you set out the arrangements and any contact. If the child is to move to and from NZ and the US it is most important, as you will know, that there is a clear binding agreement, in case there are problems. The first step is to resolve contact, and how this will be done. Tools like Skype and FaceTime can be used and when visits are to take place, you can negotiate times around the child's education needs. The other factor is the cost, which will also need to be negotiated. So you start with the discussions, and if you cannot reach agreement, then you would need to consider mediation, which can be done online if necessary.

Related New Zealand Law Questions