How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22986
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was the main applicant when I applied residency

Customer Question

Hi. I was the main applicant when I applied for my residency two years ago. My ex-husband was included in my application and we both got the residency. I separated him later because of domestic violence. I have a temporary protection order until June. Now I am eligible to apply for Permanent Residency but I don't want to support his residency any more. Is there any way to do this? He is making too many problems for me and basically doesn’t want to see me in normal life or with any new partner.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: There is an Intimidation charge for him in criminal court. But the court will be in June.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You can contact Immigration when you file your application for permanent residency and tell them you have separated, that he is the subject of court proceedings for domestic violence, and that he may be unsuitable for residency because of these events and bad character
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
You have no obligation to support his application and you can't be made to do so