How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22808
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** I live in a flat at the back

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I live in a flat at the back of 8 units. We only have one access to our flat, and have to pass three flats on a skinny footpath to reach our door. Flat 4 owned by a man Satish has never cleaned the spouting, it has grown a forest and every time it rains, my sister and I get soaked. My sister has a false hip and knee, and slipped on the slimy path. Also the grass is never cut and we are get a rat infestation. The pipes leak also and stink. We have asked our landlord to do something about it, but he wont. I found out Satish's phone # ***** I have phoned him asking him to clear the spouting as I do not want to go to work soaked and at the moment have a chest infection. Can something be done.
Kind regards,
Heather Roe-Tietjens.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
If your landlord will not do anything about improving access, and the issues about dampness, even though he does not own that unit, you can go to the Tenancy Tribunal to make him take steps to improve the access, rat infestation and other issues. The tribunal has the power to force him to take steps, and may even reduce your rent if he does not do so. You can also complain to your local council about the problem, because when there are issues about rats and long grass and the gutter, they may intervene because of the public health issue. So I suggest you try both, but start by telling the landlord you will go to the tribunal if he doesn't do anything, and tell the neighbour that you will go to the council unless he takes steps. If neither take any steps to solve the problems then I suggest you take the next level of actually applying to the tribunal and the council

Related New Zealand Law Questions