How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22977
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is going through a permanent separation and there is

Customer Question

My son is going through a permanent separation and there is a 14month old daughter from them. Father has no job, but is setting up a branch of a reliable firm in the city, and his business will open in January 2017...the mother works full-time running a large supermarket in the city and works nights regularly. Both sets of grandparents are in the city, also available for regular and known places of abode for harmonious childcare.
Can you tell me if there is a set half/half of a week system for the care of the child please?
The separation agreement is being signed tomorrow, bit nothng has been said by the mother about custody arrangements.
I am asking on behalf of my son, as they are both wanting to do this without lawyers
Thank you, Pippa
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
There is no standard arrangement for sharing care of children, and you can reach whatever arrangements suit the parents and the children and also the grandparents who will have a role as well. With both parents working there will obviously be a role for childcare and so the parents can sort out what will be the best arrangement. If they cannot reach agreement on discussion, it may be useful to use a family mediator. You don't need to use a lawyer to attend a family mediation, and you get a binding agreement once you have agreed all of the different issues. There is a link for Fairway Resolution which is the body which provides family mediators. There is a cost involved, which is not great but much cheaper than lawyers. This can be set up fairly quickly, and results in an agreement. Here is the link for finding mediators and a pamphlet about the services. You can also get a mediator through the site