How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22829
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoom, how do I go about being in a de facto relationship

Customer Question

Good afternoom,
how do I go about being in a de facto relationship for about 3 1/2 yrs to protect my assets should we split. My partner is happy to sign a form not claiming anything from me . Who do I see - can a citizen advice bureau deal with this or do I have to book a lawyer please.
Thank you and kind regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
It is a good idea to have a property agreement so both of you know where you are in r Latino to your property. Under the Property Relationships Act you can enter an agreement which sets out who owns the property and what happens if you split. Property you acquire jointly should also be included. To make this a valid and binding agreement, you need a document certified by your own lawyers. This is a requirement of the Act because otherwise it is not binding. So you should consult with your lawyer, a property or family lawyer, and they will refer your partner to another independent lawyer to witness and certify after you have negotiated and agreed the terms

Related New Zealand Law Questions