New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Ni have been arrested asslt (domestic) cr act (manually)

Customer Question
hini have been arrested for...
hini have been arrested for com asslt (domestic) cr act (manually) -crimes act 1961 section 196 with charge code 1583. and i have to appeal on court again. what should i expect??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
JustAnswerAsk a question
hini have been arrested for com asslt...
hi i hope you could advice me with this please
3/31/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer
This depends on the background and what actually happened and your previous record, or if you are appearing for the first time. At the lighter end, you would get a fine or community service, but a serious assault with a history of other assaults could mean jail. A little more background would help me be more precise
the whole scenario was i was drinking with my boyfriend and we just had little argument. and i get upset about what he said even if it was just a joke i just get carried away and slap him.
it was just like a defense mechanism about what he said

Did i discuss this with you earlier?

yup sorry im just really confused. its my first time.. i need more information. about the possibilities??

As we discussed in the other question there are a range of possibilities, including a discharge without conviction, possibly even a diversion, but if you do get convicted this is likely to be a fine or community work.

But because of the risk to your Visa as a student, you really should get a lawyer as soon as possible and have a full discussion about the possibilities

okey thank you. ill get back to you if there is more that i wanted to ask.. thank you

No problem, I hope this gets resolved so you can continue your study

shall i plead guitly about what i did to him?? becasue it wasnt that bad i could still recall it was just a very slow slap

That is something you should discuss with a lawyer, in person with all the facts. We didnt talk about diversion before. Do you know about this and was it discussed when you went to court?

diversion no it wasnt discussed?? can you tell me more about it please??

Police diversion is a scheme for first offenders. If diversion is offered by the police this means you have to pay a small fine or do community work but you do not get a criminal conviction, and the charge is withdrawn from court. To see if diversion is available, you need to contact the police prosecutor who is dealing with your case and ask if this is a possibility. Sometimes for domestic violence cases diversion is not available.

i really dont know the police officer incharge? is it possible for me to call the police station and ask them about who my police prosecuter is?

Yes, and tell them you are asking about diversion so they will understand why you want to talk to them

im allowed to do that even if i have a paper already of notice of bail to the dependant? i cant just ring them and ask for diversion? and discussed it with the police?

yes you can do this

do you think its proper to donit now or later on when ill be able to talk to my lawyer or adviser?

You can ask now as it will help the lawyer if they know about diversion

okey thank you so much

Glad to help again

how should i address the police? in telling them about the diversion? i mean how should i talk to them? i really dont know please give me advice how inwiuld speak to them. i might speak something which is not applicable and might add my fines??

They often get calls about diversion, so they may even expect a call like this. It wont add to your fines

how like i will just tell hem i need to ask about diversion with regards ***** ***** case? is that how i should ask them?

Yes, just say you have heard about diversion and ask if you are eligible

hey i have already called them and they said that its possible but i would need to call them back next week again closer to my court date hearing? is there any positivity now?

Yes that sounds positive

okey so the next time i will ring them up are they gonna give me good feedback about all this??

I think so

okey ill get back to you.. if ill have more questions in mind thnx

No problem

if ill be called by the police for this diversion thing. do instill need a lawyer for this?
The duty lawyer at court will help you on the day. This is a free service
but the diversion thing doesnt need to be in court right? it will be between the offender and the police??
do you think a call is just enough to ask if im eligible for diversion? or i would need to go to the police station?
You do need to talk to the diversion sergeant. He or she will tell you if it is an option and tell you what to do.
okey i already ring them? yesterday, donyou think its more proper to go to the police station and talk to him in person? or i would need to wait for next week to call them? as what they said when i called if im illigible
If they said to call next week, that is what you should do. Call them next week.
okey thank you
i wont need a lawyer anymore with this?

Probably not if you get offered diversion and complete it

okey thanks so much.. so ill just be waiting for there respond on my next call before ill be attending a lawyer right?
okey thnx

If you are ready you can rate this now

no need for lawyer if ill be offered a diversion right??

That is correct

ill go to them directly after ill call them on the next week right

They will tell you what to do when you call them

okey thanks

You can rate the answer when you are ready

yup okey
hi goodmorning just incase if the victim will removed all charges?? whats gonna happen on this?

That doesnt always affect whether the police proceed or not, but will be important for diversion. If they tell the police you dont want to give evidence now and have forgiven you, then that will help diversion

okey thanx. ill just have to call them today??
do thar
called them earlier, again they want me to call back next week. do you have any idea why its taking for them time to decide weather ill be given a deversion??

They have a lot of work, and sometimes just take time

okey.. im hoping for a positive feedback next week. So ill jist wait for what they will have to say about it right? before consulting a lawyer??

yes, that should be OK

am i allowed to write a letter thru post to my boyfriend to let him know. how im doing?? or no?

If you have a non association clause in your bail you must not contact him in any way

okey thanks
okey thanks. what about if he is sending me messages. but im not replying anything from his messages. what about that?

You must not reply as that is a breach of bail. You need to be careful to respect the bail terms

ofcourse ill do that. but will it affect me. should i just delete his meessges or i will let the police know about this maybe will be a need just so the police will know in case. they might ask.

If you have answered any of the messages that would be a breach of bail, so best not to raise the issue

no i did not answer anything.. from his messages.

Then perhaps show these to the police when you discuss diversion, if you feel this would help, but be careful

yup because i wanna know what might be the consequences because his sending me messages but i never intend to reply any of those. since i know my conditions on bail. Thats why i was asking because his the one whos making contact not me. and it will be impossible if ill not read it. since his sending messages in my phone right.

He can legally send you messages but you cannot respond, as you know

yup i understand that.

.