How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22808
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a guy house sitting couple of months and he had Sky

Customer Question

I had a guy house sitting for me for a couple of months and he had Sky installed without my knowledge and has since left and not paided his bill. Now that I want Sky installed myself they are charging me an extra $100 as my address is black listed. Are they allowed to do this as it is not my bill and was never under my name. Cheers ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If someone is maintaining records about you, which are not correct, you can require them to correct the information under privacy principles. This is like a debt collection agency holding a black mark against your credit where the record is incorrect. So the next step would be to tell Sky that the information they are holding about you is incorrect, and that they have improperly recorded you as a credit risk, and you require them to look at the record and make corrections to reflect the fact that the default was your house sitter and not you. If they refuse, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

That may not get you free of the special charge however, but wold be something that cold be negotiated to remedy the breach of privacy by holding incorrect information

Related New Zealand Law Questions