How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22986
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find out if there is a way to get an

Customer Question

Hi ***** *****, My name is ***** ***** I am trying to find out if there is a way to get an annulment without the other party knowing about it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My ex has been dating someone for less than 5 months and I have recently found out her real name and found her facebook account. She has adopted my ex's surname and I am concerned he has remarried without my knowledge and we have yet to finalise our divorce early Oct this yr
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Any application to dissolve the marriage must be filed in court and a copy given to you. So you must get notice of this. It is almost impossible to get a marriage dissolved before the two years are up. However there is nothing illegal about her using the surname. It's perhaps not very good taste before the first marriage is dissolved, but the law says you can use any name you want as long as it is not for fraud. So she could have just started using his name, without waiting for the dissolution
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks it was really helpful.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Glad to help