How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22829
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and I have split, we have been together 10 days

Customer Question

My partner and I have split, we have been together 10 days short of 2 years. He has told me I have 2 days to leave the house. (It was his house previous to me moving in)
Please can some one please tell me what rights (IF any) I have. Can I refuse to move? Currently I have no where to move to.
Thanks Debbie.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The time by which you can claim a half share is three years so before that your claim is for contributions. That will be based on the actual money plus support as his partner. But if you don't have any place to go, he cannot force you to move without a court order. If he threatens you you could even get a protection order and he would have to move.

Related New Zealand Law Questions