How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23066
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passes away with out making out a Will. My

Customer Question

My father passes away with out making out a Will.
My parents, although separated for over 20yrs never got a divorce so all of my fathers estate goes to my mother, insurance, assets, debt etc. Can anyone take items, furniture, musical instruments etc without my mother permission. All his estate (physical items) are being stored at my home as requested by mother.
Question "Can anything be removed from my home by others without my mothers permission?"
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If she is the person appointed to administer his estate, which is the process when there isn't a will, then she has the power to get in the assets and then distribute them in terms of the Administratoon Act. If there is no formal appointment then the act still applies.