How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22976
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not able to get police report from cambodia as i left

Customer Question

Hi I am not able to get police report from cambodia as i left when i was 15. Immigration interviewed me and my partner. im supporting him for residence. i have lived in nz for 6 years now. i did go to cambodia for visit. Immigration sd if no police report no resident. what can i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Is the problem that they have no record or that they will not give a report?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are not able to contact canbodia ministry of justice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in new zealand and been here since 15 years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i left my family for my partner and i have no contacts in cambodia that someone could apply on my behalf
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to still speak and write Cambodian?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cambodia does not have guides line like a commonwealth country and immigration has even accepted our application and done interview. Now they ask for my police report. I left cambodia no knowing i will need other documents such as residence letter from district office to apply for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just speak but not write
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i meant i can speak cambodia but not write
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If police certificates are unavailable

If you cannot get a police certificate, provide detailed information of your attempts to get one. If we are satisfied that police certificates are not available or it would be unduly difficult for you to get them (for example where the authorities of any such country will not generally provide such certificates), we may instead ask you to make and provide a separate statutory declaration in both English and your own language.

If a statutory declaration is required, it must detail your attempts to obtain a police certificate and state whether or not you, or any accompanying family members, have been found guilty or convicted of, or charged with offences against the law in that country. The statutory declaration should also be corroborated by other information attesting to your character.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
immigration officer has not yet sd that. she says her other clients provided it why can not i
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

There is a contact for thee Justice Ministry in Cambodia, but if you explain your difficulties I a statutory declaration that may be sufficient.

Specific procedure for Cambodia (Kampuchea)

You should apply to Ministry of Justice in Phnom Penh for a police clearance.

Ministry of Justice
No. 14 Sothearos (St. 3)
12301 Phnom Penh

Telephone: 023 212 693 / 023 211 038 / 023 360 327
Fax: 023 364 119 / 023 215 349

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our situation is that we dont have support from family on this relationship. We dont have access to family book and residence letted as it with my parents.I have tried and called them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have records in bill. i wrote to them as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no reply. no one even emailed us form
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will write to my immigration officer with explaing our difficulties and situation. and ses what they say
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should i do in this situation
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Where you have tried to contact the Ministry, you need to set all of the attempts and records in a statement and make this a statutory declaration. That is the alternative to getting the record. It may be helpful to ask you lawyer or the local community law centre to help draft this. iMmigration will then asses the document and see if that is enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay. il get on to it and request a exemption to policy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
final question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not able to write in cambodian. So should i write and english.
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You should write in English if you cannot us Cambodian.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your assistance
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Glad to help