New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My siblings applied to have their minor children added as…

Customer Question
My siblings applied to have...
My siblings applied to have their minor children added as beneficiaries to our Mothers will, though they were not included or named in the will. They had legal representation of which I have been advised will come out of the estate before distribution of funds. What grounds do I have to be excluded from this payment cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

You can oppose any claim by the children, and you can oppose any payment of costs from the estate. If this has been filed in court you can file opposition papers to say you do not agree with the costs being paid out of the estate, and that you don't want your share affected. It's not automatic that this will happen, although it is common to ask for costs to be paid when a claim is made against the estate.