New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

The Applicant in an application to set aside a Statutory…

Customer Question
The Applicant in an application...
The Applicant in an application for Order to set aside a Statutory Demand, might state that the debt is in substantial dispute. At the subsequent hearing, does the Judge simply accept the Applicant's word for this situation and allow that there is a substantial dispute, or does the Judge establish the veracity of the statement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

The applicant has to file an affidavit in support of the application to set aside the statutory demand. The respondent then has an opportunity to file in reply. The judge will then have a hearing where he will assess the evidence on these documents and any legal submissions in support as to the legal tests. In my experience this can be a robust approach, where dubious allegations of a factual dispute usually are rejected

Thank you Chris. But I have heard that a Judge in the High Court might not even examine the "Substantial Dispute" claim in the Application to set aside Statutory Demand because he may not want to rule as to whether there is a dispute at this time. Thus it seems that as a defence it is sufficient to simply claim there is a dispute to get an order to set the application aside. You say a Judge will pick up the question of substantial dispute and rule on it, however? How can you be sure? Thank you

The test is not whether there is a dispute, but whether there is a real dispute. My experience of arguing a reasonable number of the applications is that the evidence is carefully examined, and that it must be credible and well presented to permit setting aside of the demand. It is certainly not automatic.