New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Please we would like to know if it is legal to audio record…

Customer Question
Hello , Please we would like...
Hello ,
Please we would like to know if it is legal to audio record any statements , or interviews provided to the courts as evidence , even if they are court requested ??
Thank you .
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
As proof of what was actually said , are we able to voice record if needed , for any interviews done by any court appointed agency's , or staff, that are requested to write reports for our case .... , we have had experiences of untrue records being written , which is a horrible task to rectify without the correct knowledge..., so as a safety precaution we would like to record things...??
2/21/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

If you want to make your own recordings, in court, then you would need permission of the judge, but the judge would likely say that the court recording would be the only record permitted. But those are accurate and so would satisfy your needs. Outside of court you can record any discussion although you should tell the persons being recorded that you are doing so.