New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My grandson is 14 months and has lived with me from birth. I…

Customer Question
My grandson is 14 months...
My grandson is 14 months and has lived with me from birth. I delivered him at home. I have more or less been the day to day carer since then. Both parents have been gone from my home for over a month and left the day to day care of my grandson with me. What are the child abandonment laws? can I get day to day care of him under the abandonment law without going to court
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
2/17/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

Unfortunately you do need a formal guardianship agreement. You don't need to go to court for this, but you do need the parents to sign this. It's not a complicated document, but you will need a lawyer to draw this up. If the parents won't sign, then you may need to make a court application however. If you don't have a lawyer I can suggest some names if you advise your city