How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22811
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would like to contact a family judge who handled a CYFS case

Customer Question

Would like to contact a family judge who handled a CYFS case for my grandchildren and believe the judge is not aware of the circumstances following the hearing in October 2013
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you cannot discuss a case with a judge unless you are a party to the case and file formal papers putting you on the record. This would mean reopening the case, and perhaps that is the best course if the problems arose after the decision. To look at the problems again someone perhaps should contact CYFS and discuss this. But judges will only talk about cases in the formal way of having a proper case filed. They deal with may cases of course and only look at cases which are active, and cannot look at cases which have finished

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am part of the case, and the judge is not aware of what has transpired since October 2013
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You would need to start a new case, which refers to the older case. Unfortunately it may not get the same judge, as they do move around. When a decision is made the case is closed, but can be reopened as part of a new case and what happened then, is still relevant of course. What is the current problem?

Related New Zealand Law Questions