New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My name is ***** *****. i feel that my partner is lying to…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. i feel that my partner is lying to about himself. something like having an persona. i know nothing about his family or background. hes kiwi but currently living in Australia will you help me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He says he wants to marry ASAP but i cant do it unless am sure hes telling the truth.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
His name is***** he told me he came to Australia in 2008. He came from the North of newzealand. He served in the army when he was 16 for 5 years and then joined the military for 7 years. then after he came to Australia. he told me he grew up in foster home with a man just known by Peter who looked after no him. he has no friends or conatct from newzealand he sometime told me that he wanted me to meet his best friends and after afew weeks he told me they were all dead. he told me he never conatcs his parents but then one time he told me his mom called him to tell him that his Dad was very sick. when i tried to tell him to go see them he said they are dead to him. Now i feel like this man is not who he says he is. Please help.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/15/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

Some more information would help me. Are you living with this man in Australia? It may be best if this goes to an Australian lawyer unless you are after information from New zEaland

Am after information from New zealand No i dont live with him until we get married.

If you are getting different versions of his life history then it is likely he is hiding something. It would be only reasonable if he could show you things like his army record or his passport and his birth certificate. I dont mind a phone call but its midnight here

he has no passport he told me he took it for renewal which is shady.

How old is he? How long have you known him? Have you actually met him?

he told me that since we met and its a year now but still no passport

To get married you will needto see his birth certificate and you can ask him for an assurance he isnt still married, and this can be searched in the New Zealand Births Deaths and Marriages office

So getting those documents may reveal if he is really who he says. If he cant produce these then there could be a problem.

He may also need to produce his passport to get married so asking him for this may also help.

i aksed him for the birth certificate he told me he didnt have one but lodged his application for one. Am not even sure he was in the military because he said he was expelled from the military. cause i tried to ask for his medals. thats the answer he gave me. and ofcourse he didnt tell me the reason

It is very easy to get a replacement. https://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Births-Deaths-and-Marriages-Get-a-Birth-Certificate?OpenDocument

That is the link and you can get this online. So you can tell him you can get this, but he has to provide his date of birth and full name.

i actually told him i had a lawyer who could help but he said he got it. Well Chris my main concern is his background i want to know whether what he told me is true and also if even that is his real name. cause many people come here to AU and change their identity. Please help.

You need to ask him for the actual documents and if he can't produce these, tell him it's off. Does he live in the same city? Do you know where he works?

No he lives in the gold coast. i live in Sydney. yes i know where he works i actually met his bosses afew times.

Its a simple request and if he can't come up with this he may well be hiding something. After all if he has a criminal record he could be sent back to New Zealand

You could get a private detective to check up on him but that isn't the best start to a relationship

i agree anyways ill ask him but am sure its gonna end cause he wont produce any of those.

Perhaps tell him directly why you are concerned and that the changing stories are a worry

i talked to him already and he said he had nothing to hide. But am sure he has alot hidden.

If he wants to get married then he has to provide documents and that will be the test. If he cannot, then he must be hiding something from you

thanks for your help. have to get going

I hope this works out for you

Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer