How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22895
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I was giving driving lessons to a

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. I was giving driving lessons to a friend, she had many before with other people, we went to Foxton Beach, then down to Levin, upon returning to Foxton she said she would like to do a little bit more, so we headed towards Shannon, unfortunately on the way there after just coming out of a mild right hand bend on to a long straight, she let the car travel slightly to the left, before I had time to grab the wheel, left front tyre touched the grass, and it was all over, car hit culvert or drain, car rolled a cuple of times and ended up on its side, Evangeline was fine, not injured at all, me on the other hand was off work for a month. Any costs incured relating to the accident have been paid, i:e farmers fence. no one else was involved. Now she is told to goto court to answer a D502 charge. What normally is the outcome for this sort of charge, Do I have to attend to the Court as well ????
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what sort of details
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The summons will likely be for careless driving. If this is the charge on the court papers then this is likely to be a fine and court costs. In some cases if this is a first offence you can ask for diversion which will leave her record clean. She should ask the police if they will look at this before pleading to the charge. It is however possible that she may be charged with careless driving causing injury. This is more serious and she would be fined more, and also be prevented from driving/ or trying to get a licence for 6 months. The fine will depend on what she can pay.

Related New Zealand Law Questions