New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My husband of over 30 years says he is now gay and wants a…

Customer Question
My husband of over 30...
My husband of over 30 years says he is now gay and wants a divorce.
My problem is I have a special needs child 20 yrs old but will require ongoing care for the rest of his life.
I have given up my career aspirations to focus on helping him.
My husband has also been physically abusive to me in the past with me spending over 3 weeks in women's refuge.
I cannot afford to live on my own .
I am scared about my financila future.
Would i be entitled to receive more than 50% in divorce settlement?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
2/11/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

You could make a claim for a larger than equal share, but that can be difficult. What you are more likely to get is spousal maintenance from him which is a short term measure for usually about 2 to 3 years. Because of your choice to care for your child, at the expense of your career, this entitles you to claim. Sometimes this gets paid out from the sale of relationship property and would in effect, get you a greater share. So your family lawyer will be able to help you make a claim when negotiating with your husband