How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22897
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of over 30 years says he is now gay and wants a

Customer Question

My husband of over 30 years says he is now gay and wants a divorce.
My problem is I have a special needs child 20 yrs old but will require ongoing care for the rest of his life.
I have given up my career aspirations to focus on helping him.
My husband has also been physically abusive to me in the past with me spending over 3 weeks in women's refuge.
I cannot afford to live on my own .
I am scared about my financila future.
Would i be entitled to receive more than 50% in divorce settlement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You could make a claim for a larger than equal share, but that can be difficult. What you are more likely to get is spousal maintenance from him which is a short term measure for usually about 2 to 3 years. Because of your choice to care for your child, at the expense of your career, this entitles you to claim. Sometimes this gets paid out from the sale of relationship property and would in effect, get you a greater share. So your family lawyer will be able to help you make a claim when negotiating with your husband

Related New Zealand Law Questions