How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23058
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Husband wants to have house valued and sold as he has

Customer Question

Husband wants to have house valued and sold as he has decided to end marriage. What are wife's rights if she doesn't want to go through with any of this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Once the marriage has come to an end, then the Family Court will encourage sale of the home as it is not regarded as a good principle to leave issues between the parties open over a longer period of time. You can, if you are able to, make an offer to buy him out. But if that is not possible then it is inevitable that the property will be sold.

The only time sale is postponed is where there is domestic violence or where the needs of the children require this. In those cases it can be put off for a few years, but not lengthy periods.