How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22813
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is on a Sales agreement along with my husbands yet

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Sales agreement along with my husbands yet my husband was the only one who signed it. When I queried with the finance person at the car yard why I wasn't signing he advised that my husband was the primary bread winnderI have since noticed errors on what we were charged on the including GST price of the vehicle. Will having my name on this contract but not my signature make the contract void?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The vehicle was $22.990 excluding GST but we were charged $29.990 including which by my calculations is 30% gst when it should only have been 15% as I understand
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Was this a cash purchase? This is unlikely to be binding on you personally if you didn't sign it. If they have made errors in the GST then you are entitled to a refund. If they refuse, you can claim against them in a special tribunal called the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal which you can find at this link. You don't a lawyer to claim there. Your husband could file the claim and ask for the contract to be clarified as to the name of the buyer and claim the overpaid GST.

Related New Zealand Law Questions