New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My name is on a Sales agreement along with my husbands yet…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** Sales agreement along with my husbands yet my husband was the only one who signed it. When I queried with the finance person at the car yard why I wasn't signing he advised that my husband was the primary bread winnderI have since noticed errors on what we were charged on the including GST price of the vehicle. Will having my name on this contract but not my signature make the contract void?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The vehicle was $22.990 excluding GST but we were charged $29.990 including which by my calculations is 30% gst when it should only have been 15% as I understand

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
2/11/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

Was this a cash purchase? This is unlikely to be binding on you personally if you didn't sign it. If they have made errors in the GST then you are entitled to a refund. If they refuse, you can claim against them in a special tribunal called the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal which you can find at this link. You don't a lawyer to claim there. Your husband could file the claim and ask for the contract to be clarified as to the name of the buyer and claim the overpaid GST.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/motor-vehicle-disputes-tribunal