New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My name is siti
, issue regarding new zealand

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is siti

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Issue regarding new zealand citizenship

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
hello, I want to ask in regards ***** ***** Zealand citizenship
2/2/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

I can help with this. The basic criteria is you have to be a permanent resident for 5 years and have a clean criminal record. What details do you need?

I have permanent residence and clean criminal record BUT not enough days spent in NZ

It is very difficult to avoid this requirement.

Reduction of presence requirement

Legal Requirement

Section 8(7)

The Minister may grant citizenship to applicants who do not meet the ‘presence’ requirement for the grant of citizenship provided the applicant:

1. a) was present in New Zealand for at least 450 days in the 20 months immediately before the application for citizenship was lodged; and

2. b) was entitled, in terms of the Immigration Act 2009, to be in New Zealand indefinitely during each of those 450 days.

In order to grant citizenship under this section the Minister must be satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances particular to the applicant that mean the Minister believes the applicant should be granted citizenship.

Policy

An applicant cannot clearly fulfil this requirement and be placed on a schedule. All applications considered under this section must be presented to the Minister as a submission. To be considered under this section the applicant must have been in New Zealand for at least 450 days in the 20 months immediately before the application for citizenship was lodged and have held New Zealand residence through Immigration New Zealand for that whole period.

The Minister may grant citizenship to applicants in this situation if satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances particular to the applicant that mean the Minister believes the applicant should be granted citizenship.

Assessment is required on a case by case basis. Exceptional circumstances arise when the situation is well outside the normal run of circumstances found in citizenship grant cases generally. The circumstances do not have to be unique or very rare, but they do have to be truly an exception rather than the rule, or they would need to be out of the ordinary and comparatively rare.

chances to get citizenship is very slim for me

Yes, it would be hard. If you commit to living here for longer periods, then you could apply, and once you are a citizen, there is no restriction on how long you stay here or overseas