New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

Why were we issued $100.00 per passenger and the loss of 35…

Customer Question
Why were we issued $100.00...
Why were we issued $100.00 per passenger and the loss of 35 demerit points on each of our licence we were passengers in a car driven by a restricted driver
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

I am looking for the relevant part of the Land Transport Licensing Rules. Does your infringement notice cite any particular rules? I have not found anything so far to support this.

Hi Chris thanks for the quick response I have attached a copy of the ticket issued.

The issue in this case is first whether you actually knew that the driver was restricted. You can only be charged with aiding someone to commit an offence, if you had the necessary knowledge. However now that I have seen the ticket, I suspect that the police are attempting to use the provisions of the Crimes Act which referred to aiding and abetting someone to commit an offence. It is of course an offence under the Land Transport Driver Licensing Rules*****contrary to the conditions of a restricted license, and this carries 35 demerit points, plus the fine. Section 66 of the Crimes Act does say that anyone is a party to an offence who abets any person to commit the offence or incites someone to commit the offence. So if you did not know that the driver was restricted, then you should defend this case.