How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23065
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated 4 years. my husband has ahigh salary

Customer Question

I have been separated for over 4 years. my husband has ahigh salary and large inheritance. What is spousal maintenance and how can I claim it???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Spousal maintenance is claimed when you first separate, and where because of circumstances like looking after the children of the marriage, you have not worked or only worked part time and have supported the family by giving up your career to do so. But this would usually be claimed when you separate, and after four years, it is too late to apply