New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

My name is ***** *****. I currently work in an out-bound…

Customer Question
Hi. My name is...

Hi. My name is ***** *****. I currently work in an out-bound call centre - my employer has advised redundancy notice of one month, offered some redeployment options and retention bonuses that continue to change without notice and have criteria that are not achievable. For example, we are entitled to one month's extra wages to ensure customer service provision until the 12/02/2016 BUT if it extends we must stay or lose this. Double commission and retention bonus criteria is largely unachieveable for many with both lost if we re-deploy to another project with one months' loss of income between finish and start dates (no leave paid out / no retention bonus paid if we re-deploy) - they keep changing the intake dates, number of available positions, etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Ok... received an email today stating that people in affected teams "have been compensated for this "risk" (being the possibility of re-deployment at an earlier date) with double commissions and one months extra pay. In truth, we do not receive this at all if we transition to another project or meet their performance criteria.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
1/22/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

If they have given notice of redundancy, and consulted with you about alternatives, that is sufficient under employment law. However the confused alternatives must be clarified so that there are clear alternatives which are not inconsistent. You need to first have meetings to discuss the offers and explain your concerns. Then see if they sort out what is being offered. If they do not, you could start a personal grievance process.

Just noted that my account has been debited. I did however, find the answers I needed on our government site and unsubscribed which unfortunately (and hardly surprising) takes five working days. To be honest, certainly not worth $50.00 - absolute rubbish.

But you can continue to ask questions on this page until you have the answer you want. Your qustion, above, wasnt really framed as a question, so I have given a general response, and would welcome the chance to go into more detail.