How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22816
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am owed just over a $1000 from **** in holiday pay, they

Customer Question

Hi, I am owed just over a $1000 from **** in holiday pay, they will not pay it to me as they say I did not give 2 weeks notice, the only reason I didn't give 2 weeks notice is that I was contracted to 40 hrs a week & they only had 24 hrs for me, I was also Contracted employed as a Carpenter which for the first 5 or so weeks was right but the following 5 weeks was doing all different types of work & very little Carpentry, are they right in not paying me this money?
Thanks Jamie
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

They cannot withhold your holiday pay like this and it is illegal. They must pay out or you can ask a Labour Inspector from the Department of Labour to collect this from them, and possibly prosecute for the failure to pay. The contact for them, a free service to you, is the Contact Centre on 0800 20 90 20 during business hours. Business hours are 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, 9.00am - 5.00pm Friday excluding public holidays. If calling from overseas call +64 9(###) ###-####/a>.

Related New Zealand Law Questions