New Zealand Law

Have New Zealand Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Online.

I am owed just over a $1000 from **** in holiday pay, they…

Customer Question
Hi, I am owed just...
Hi, I am owed just over a $1000 from **** in holiday pay, they will not pay it to me as they say I did not give 2 weeks notice, the only reason I didn't give 2 weeks notice is that I was contracted to 40 hrs a week & they only had 24 hrs for me, I was also Contracted employed as a Carpenter which for the first 5 or so weeks was right but the following 5 weeks was doing all different types of work & very little Carpentry, are they right in not paying me this money?
Thanks Jamie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: New Zealand Law
1/20/2016
Solicitor: Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris The Lawyer

They cannot withhold your holiday pay like this and it is illegal. They must pay out or you can ask a Labour Inspector from the Department of Labour to collect this from them, and possibly prosecute for the failure to pay. The contact for them, a free service to you, is the Contact Centre on 0800 20 90 20 during business hours. Business hours are 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, 9.00am - 5.00pm Friday excluding public holidays. If calling from overseas call +64 9(###) ###-####/a>.