How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22890
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My de facto and I converted a barn to a house on s parents

Customer Question

My de facto and I converted a barn to a house on his parents land. Barn is not permitted. Am intitaled to anything ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The house may have a value as a building and you should be entitled to half share of the building under the Property Relationships Act. If he had a lease or licence to use the land from his parenmts, it is possible this has some value and that you could claim a half share of this. It may however be an informal arrangement which would not have any real value.

Related New Zealand Law Questions