How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23075
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know if the mother can legally stop myself

Customer Question

Hi Chris. I would like to know if the mother can legally stop myself from seeing the children or having them for weekends etc.
Also, can I as the grandmother apply for full custody of my grandchildren?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The Family Court recognises the important role of grandparents in a child's life, so you can apply for contact if she refuses. This is likely to be resolved at a mediation, and you must attempt mediation before you go to the Family Court. At a mediation you can also ask for full time parenting, and discuss this. The test is what is in the best interests of the child. If you want to know more about mediation please ask, but the mediator is there to help both of you sort this issue by discussion and agreement rather than tell you what to do