How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22808
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter Destiny is 26 a solo mum of a 4 yr old daughter.

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter Destiny is 26 a solo mum of a 4 yr old daughter. She and her partner have been sepatated for 3 yrs. She has been primary carer in that time her ex having alternate wknds. Within those two years the ex has been tryin to interfere in the way Destiny raises her daughter..Borderin on controling...Hes threatened not to take their daughter back to Destiny on occassions.. Well, today is Monday he hasnt returned the daughter home to her Mum.
What can Destiny do legally? They were not married, he is not on the birth certificate and has never paid child support.. Please help,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

She can go get the child and if he refuses then she can make an urgent application to the Family Court. At present he has no rights if he isn't on the birth certificate and cannot insist on contact. She can try the police but they are usually reluctant to get involved. Here, without any legal standing as the father she can claim he has kidnapped the child, but I suspect the police will tell her to find s family lawyer. Will she need some names for this?

Related New Zealand Law Questions