How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22888
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am tentatively looking at applying through the family

Customer Question

Good morning. I am tentatively looking at applying through the family courts for processing the division of our relationship property. I am not in the financial position of a prolonged engagement of a family lawyer. What would the advise be please? Sorry, to add to this, the other party has engaged a lawyer, I am being pressured to provide my own lawyer to respond. thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you are not working you would qualify for legal aid, although the fees would be deducted from the property division proceeds, and vitally repaid. If you are working then you likely won't qualify however. An alternative is to have a fee arrangement with your lawyer to get paid from any property proceeds, and some family lawyers will act on this basis.

Related New Zealand Law Questions