How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22808
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to record a mortgage instrument against a title. I am

Customer Question

I wish to record a mortgage instrument against a title.
I am the private mortgagee.
I assume I need to fill out and file an A&I Form. Per:
page 74.
Looking at LINZ website, appears I cannot do this myself. Correct?
If so, what's the least expensive way to do this?
I am the private mortgagee.
I don't own the property in question.
My partner owns the property in question.
I wish to loan her $50K secured by a mortgage on her property.
If she were to die before repaying the loan, this would ensure that I have a priority claim collateralized by her property, regardless of her will or family claims on her estate.
We are not married. I am not in her will (and she could change it without my consent anyway).
Am I on the right track?
Given I can't do this myself on LINZ LandOnline, what's my cheapest route for achieving the outcome?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You will need to contact a lawyer to register this as only lawyers have access to Landonline. Generally the lawyer will complete the the forms, and usually the mortgagor pays the fees for you. That is the standard practice. If you dont have a lawyer I can suggest some names, but mortgage registration is pretty simple and will not cost a great deal. In saying this i have assumed you drafted the mortgage yourself. If you need the form drafted then this will costs a little more, although that is , as I mention, the mortgagor's liability usually

Related New Zealand Law Questions