How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 14867
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ex sister in law had her son removed from her care, but only

Customer Question

ex sister in law had her son removed from her care, but only being hassled and was emotionally in state that she just signed child over to the step grandmother in law and grandfather in law over written work, to get some sort of income for the child. Can I (Aunty) as I have mothers verbal and any other sort of consent to take baby under my wing or do I have to go through the child's grandparents to do so ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

You would need to get either an agreement negotiated through FDR family mediation, or if that doesn't work, you will need to apply to the Family Court. If you have the grandparents consent you can uplift the child, but you will also need to have the mothers consent as well. It is a requirement to try mediation before you apply to the Family Court, and these settle about 80% of the time, and you dont need a lawyer for this part, although there is a fee for appointment. You can however try for mediation, and if the grandparents refuse, you can then go to the Family Court and apply