Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have a 13 year old son who lives with s Dad, a daughter I

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a 13 year old son who lives with his Dad, a daughter I adopted out 7 years ago as she was conceived under difficult circumstances and now two young ones with my now ex partner. I'm just wondering how I will go with custody of the younger two as my ex is telling me I won't get anything as I haven't cared for the older two children at all and it makes me look like a terrible mother. Could you please advise me?!!
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The test is what is best for the children you are caring for now, not what has happened in the past. If you are doing a great job with your children now, then that is what is important. But before any issues like who is the full time carer are decided you will need to have a family mediation to settle the care and contact issues, and most child and parenting issues are settled at the mediation. But what happened with your previous two children is not relevant to what is decided