How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 22894
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is minium period to get a annulment after marriage

Customer Question

Customer: what is minium period to get a annulment after marriage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: a friend has been married for five months and they have seperated for 3 months now new g/f off the man wants his marriage annuled before going to divorce
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to New Zealand Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok we need a answer
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The standard period is two years of separation before you can apply for the marriage to be dissolved. Annulment is unusual and is only able to be used in cases

only where—

  • (a)in the case of a marriage or civil union that is governed by New Zealand law so far as it relates to capacity to marry—

    • (i)at the time of the solemnisation of the marriage or civil union, either party was already married or in a civil union; or

    • (ii)by reason of duress, mistake, or insanity, or for any other reason, there was at the time of the marriage or civil union an absence of consent by either party to marriage or civil union to the other party; or

    • (iii)the parties to the marriage are within the prohibited degrees of relationship set out in Schedule 2 of the Marriage Act 1955, and no order is in force under section 15(2) of that Act dispensing with the prohibition;

Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Those grounds are difficult to prove and most just wait the two years

Related New Zealand Law Questions