How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23073
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter, now in her fifties, wishes to take action

Customer Question

My daughter, now in her fifties, wishes to take action against four adult men whom she alleges molested her when she was about 14 years of age and the then boys were about 16 years old.
Is she able to do so in NZ law ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

There is no limitation on criminal cases, although historic sexual offending can be difficult to prove. So here are special units of the police who look at sex offending, and have the skills to talk to people about these issues. She should get in touch with them, and they will listen to her complaint, and see if it a matter which should proceed to prosecution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the fact they were all minors at the time not relevant?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

That will affect the sentence, if the prosecution succeeds. They would sentenced on the basis of being a young person.

There can be alternatives to criminal prosecution. The Law Commission has just published a report suggesting that in appropriate cases, a restorative justice approach should be used, and this may well be an example where it would be more helpful than the difficult process of giving evidence in court